![]() |
| The backyard. Officially referred to as the West Lawn. |
Dreams do come true kids…
I spent about 5 hours a Monticello! With your admission you get a guided tour of the house, a garden tour, a slavery tour, a self-guided tour of the dependencies, entry to 3 exhibit spaces, a short film, and full access to the grounds. If you know me, and especially if you have ever traveled with me, it is no surprise that I did everything on that list!
In typical fashion, I arrived early. I had spent the night camping nearby in Charlottesville and I didn't want to be late! I took the bus from the Visitor's Center to Monticello at the top of the hill. I had about 20 minutes to wander the grounds before lining up for my tour. I couldn't believe I was really here - I finally got to see Monticello!
![]() |
| The front yard. I guess this would be the East Lawn. |
I love how much Jefferson loved gadgets. He had a clock in his front room that he also rigged to be a clock on his front porch. Since it was a clock that only needed to be wound every 7 days, Jefferson realized he could use it to tell the day of the week as well. He developed a weight / counterweight system using cannonballs on a rope, attached it to the clock mechanism and had a clock and calendar in one.
Jefferson wrote many letters and kept meticulous records. To ensure that he always had a copy of his correspondence, he employed a polygraph machine. I always thought polygraph was a lie detector, but in this case it was tandem pens - what you wrote with one was immediately copied by the other.
Another part of his meticulous record keeping was his weather monitoring. Jefferson recorded the weather when he woke up and in the late afternoon - hoping to determine weather patterns.
Perhaps Jefferson was so interested in the weather because of the effects it could have on his plants. Monticello has a garden, orchard, and vineyard. These did not always produce enough food to feed Jefferson's family, but it did give him space to try science experiments such as hybridization. He also tried introducing European plants such as a particular variety of grapes whose wine he enjoyed.
![]() |
| The Vineyard and Garden Pavilion (think of it as a hot gazebo) |
![]() |
| The nursery where Jefferson tried experiments and non-native plants |
My favorite plant in the garden was the "Sensitive Plant." Watch it in action:
![]() |
| Can you see the rolling waves? |
![]() |
| UVA is through the small gap in the trees |
To learn more about Monticello visit www.monticello.org
![]() |
| Monticello as reflected in the Fish Pond |









No comments:
Post a Comment